The Future of my Blog

The purpose of this post is to let you know that on or around 1 June, there is a possibility that posts on this blog may cease for a time. If this happens, I wont have been assassinated by readers angered at what they (rightly or wrongly) perceive as the poor quality of my verse, (or kidnapped by a crazy fan who wishes me to write poetry solely for them). No, it will be down to the replacement of the WordPress Classic editor by the new Block editor.

Since the inception of this blog, I have been blogging using the WordPress Classic Editor. Classic works well with my accessibility/screen reading software, Job Access with Speech or JAWS, which converts text into speech and braille enabling me to use a Windows computer/laptop.

From 1 June 2020, the Classic Editor will be replaced by the WordPress Block Editor (although the Block Editor will, I understand still containe, somewhere within it the facility to use Classic). You can read more about this change here, https://wordpress.com/blog/2020/05/18/say-hello-to-the-wordpress-block-editor/

I have tried the Block Editor using JAWS and it doesn’t work for me. I’ve raised this issue with WordPress and a helpful employee assures me that, given my circumstances the Classic Editor will remain the default on my blog. Whilst I am grateful for this assurance, I remain apprehensive about the change from Classic to Block editor.

If, on or around 1 June I cease posting for a time this will be down to the change from Classic to Block editor. I hope that Classic will remain the default. However, in life things do not always work smoothly.

However, whatever happens on 1 June, kmorrispoet.com will remain active and any teething issues will, I am sure be resolved.

Kevin

34 thoughts on “The Future of my Blog

1. jenanita01

They say we can continue to use the classic editor until 2022, which doesn’t seem so far away now… I just wish it wasn’t such a radical switch!

1. K Morris Poet Post author

Many thanks for your comment. Yes, it is also my understanding that people can continue to use the Classic editor until 2022. However, I understand that (for most people) the Classic editor will need to be accessed from somewhere within the new Block editor. I haven’t found it possible to locate the Classic option within the Block editor, hence my request to WordPress that Classic is kept as the default on my blog. I’ve received an assurance on this which will, I hope mean that things go smoothly on 1 June.

2. Victoria Zigler (@VictoriaZigler)

They just did something similar with Blogger. Thankfully though, not only had I just updated my Jaws to the latest version, but the new Blogger does appear to work with Jaws (though I’m having to make some very minor adjustments to my post construction process). I do, however, see an option to continue using the classic version on my dashboard (though have decided not to make use of the option, since the new one is accessable, and they’ll make me change sooner or later anyhow). I hope the same will hold true for you with WordPress, and that they can resolve the accessability options before the option to continue with the classic editor no longer exists.

1. K Morris Poet Post author

Many thanks for your comment, Tori. I was interested to hear that Blogger has also updated it’s editor, but I’m pleased that you are able to use the new version (albeit in a slightly different manner to that of the previous editor). I did, for a short time try Blogger. However I found WordPress to be more accessible, but I’m glad that it works for you. Best wishes, Kevin

1. Victoria Zigler (@VictoriaZigler)

I mainly use Blogger because it’s what I started my blog on 14 years ago (since the person who introduced me to blogging was on there) and by the time I heard about WordPress I was used to Blogger, and not eager for the hastle of moving my blog. Better the devil you know, as they say.

2. K Morris Poet Post author

I can understand your reluctance to move from one blogging platform to another, Tori. I’m sure that both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages, but most people (including me) get used to a certain platform and stick to it.

1. K Morris Poet Post author

Many thanks for your comment, Annabelle, and the best of luck with getting to grips with the Block editor in terms of your own blog. Best, Kevin

3. V.M.Sang

I hope they resolve this quickly, Kevin. However, I will still go ahead with my promise of help with the launch of your new book assuming you can still get the stuff done.

1. K Morris Poet Post author

Many thanks Vivienne. I am pleased to announce that my book is now in the process of being proof read. Consequently there should be no problems in getting it published. Thanks again for your help in promoting my book. Its much appreciated. As regards my blog, I’m sure I shall, somehow continue to blog. All the best, Kevin

4. robbiesinspiration

I hope the changeover goes smoothly for you, Kevin. I have changed over to the block editor for my Roberta Writes blog but not as yet Robbie’s Inspiration. It hasn’t popped up as a choice there yet.

5. floridaborne

I used the classic editor, too. There is too much brightness in the block editor and it is very hard on my eyes. I already have the screen brightness down to 29%.

Hopefully, we will still have access to the classic editor.

1. K Morris Poet Post author

Thanks for your comments. Being reliant on speech and braille output I was unaware of the brightness issue, so thanks for pointing that out.

The best of luck with your blog.

Best, Kevin

1. floridaborne

Thanks. 🙂

Here’s hoping that neither of us have to endure the block editor. Given it’s impact on people with visual impairments, that might be just the thing to keep it around.

1. K Morris Poet Post author

Thank you, Bette. I certainly do intend to hang in there! Sending a petition isn’t a bad idea. Alternatively those who experience problems should contact WordPress Support and not just quietly fume about not being able to use (or experiencing great problems using) the new editor. The best of luck with your blog. Best, Kevin

6. colinmcqueen

I hope it works for you Kevin. I have always used the ‘classic’ editor. I don’t have accessibility issues to deal with and I still find the new block editor a pain. Finger’s crossed for you.

7. Matthew Wright

Do you have Word? I always use that to compose blog posts and then paste them into the block editor. It works pretty well and even preserves footnoting. That said, it’s frustrating to have to keep learning software, then learning it again because the vendor decided to change it, even though it wasn’t broken.

1. K Morris Poet Post author

Many thanks for your comment, Matthew. Yes I have Word and most of my posts are composed in Word and then cut and pasted into the Classic editor. The issue is that JAWS does not appear to work effectively with the Block editor meaning that I can’t even reach the point at which its possible for me to cut and paste text into the editor. Best, Kevin